by: Jacinta Richardson, Paul Fenwick
Welcome to Perl Training Australia’s Database Programming with Perl training module. This is a
two day training module in which you will learn how to interact with databases through Perl.
• Accessing the database
• Programming with DBI
• Database security
• Removing passwords from your programs
• Working with remote connections
This training module assumes the following prior knowledge and skills:
• Intermediate Perl fluency, including a familiarity with Perl variable types and references, file
input/output, system interaction and using Perl modules. Some experience of using Perl objects
would be useful.
• Basic Unix fluency, including logging in, moving around directories, and editing files
• Understand what a database is and why we use them
• Understand basic SQL commands
• Be able to use the database shell to access the database
• Understand why Perl’s DBI exists
• Use DBI to add, update, delete and select data in the database.
• Understand and use content from extra material.